William S. Wyler
- Intellectual Property
- Technology Licensing and Transfer
- Website Development and Hosting Agreements
- Business Law
Bill Wyler moved his practice to Flagel and Papakirk in 2016, after more than 25 years at another firm, because of F&P's fast growing reputation as an outstanding law firm with a concentration on solving business related legal issues.
Bill's practice focuses on (1) the protection of intellectual property and (2) technology licensing and transfer. His protection of intellectual property practice includes registration and licensing of trademarks and copyrights; prosecution and defense of trademarks, trade secrets, and copyrights involving infringement and misappropriation claims, both administratively and in court; and in drafting, prosecuting and defending non-compete, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements.
His technology licensing and transfer practice includes drafting and negotiating, often complex, development, acquisition, licensing and hosting agreements. In each of these practice areas, Bill is a leader in the field, helping to develop the strategies and methods that are in common use today.
He has chaired both the Ohio State Bar Association Computer Law Committee and the Board of Governors of the Intellectual Property Section. He has also chaired the Cincinnati Bar Association Computer Law Committee. He has received an AV rating (the highest possible rating) from Martindale-Hubble, the rating service used most by lawyers, for 18 consecutive years. He has been named by American Lawyer Media, as a "Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property," every year since 2013, and a "Top Rated Lawyer in Technology," every year since 2012. He has also previously been named a "Super Lawyer." He served for ten years on the Cincinnati Bar Association's grievance committee, which investigates attorney misconduct and makes recommendations for discipline to the Ohio Supreme Court.
He was appointed, by Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, to the Ohio Supreme Court's Advisory Committee on Court Technology and he served on the Board of the Center for Information Technology and the Law, which was a joint project of the University of Cincinnati College of Law and the School of Business. He taught Computer Law at both the University of Cincinnati College of Law and Salmon P. Chase College of Law. He is invited to speak regularly at both legal and business seminars.
He is admitted to practice law before the Supreme Court of the United States, all courts in the State of Ohio, the United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, for the D.C. Circuit and for the Federal Circuit. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Ohio and the Eastern District of Kentucky.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1972
- American University, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1969
- Ohio, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1972
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1972
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1972
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
Recognition & Distinctions
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubble
- Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property, American Lawyer Media
- Top Rated Lawyer in Technology, American Lawyer Media
- Legal Pitfalls and Protection for Consultants in the Computer Industry The Information Executive, 9, 1988
- Acquisition of Software, Have Attorneys Missed the Boat? Cincinnati Bar Journal, 2, 1987
- Computerization: A Step by Step Approach to System Acquisition Business Courier, 5, 1985
- Branding 101 for Attorneys, 2013
- Branding 101 Your Brand Your Future, 2013
- How to Acquire Technology Property, 2015
- Knowing Your IP Rights is not a Cakewalk, 2017
- BWC Systems, Incorporated
- Concurrent Corporation
- Design Research Systems, Incorporated
- Jacobs Retail Systems, Incorporated
- Data Processing Management Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Computer Law Committee, Chair
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Computer Law Committee, Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Board of Governors, Chair
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Grievance Committee
- On Request